I’m having a problem with segmentation faults using the kdevelop integrated development environment while altering uvm_patroncmp.c This is the program that compares patron records in an “old” file to a “newer” file and decides whether a record should be added, changed or expired. Changed and added records are written to a transaction file and expired records are written to an expiration file.
I need to modify this file so that the new and old records are compared on the institution id field instead of the ssan field. I tried just substituting all of the applicable occurences of ssan with institution_id which seems like it should work because the size of the field is specified with the sizeof key word in the comparison clause like the following:
if (memcmp(new_sif.ssan, old_sif.ssan, sizeof old_sif.ssan) > 0)
When I did this and compiled it, the result was a segmentation fault. Now I’ve reverted to the original file and I’m still getting a segmentation fault!
OK. More information. The scripts and programs for updating patron records is on a 64 bit linux machine. I have been using my 32 bit test machine to modify the c program and that is where I’ve had the segmentation faults. I recently made the ssan to institution_id substitution on the host 64 bit server without any problems. I don’t think there is anything in the source code that is forcing it to be compiled as 64 bit. I still don’t know what is going on.